Shamshad Ali, M Imran Aslam, Nayyar M Elahi, Waseem A Khan, M Saqib Musharaf, Yousma Javed
Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences




Peer Reviewed

Previous Published Issues


Prevalence of Tuberculosis in Diabetic Patients

Shamshad Ali, M Imran Aslam, Nayyar M Elahi, Waseem A Khan, M Saqib Musharaf, Yousma Javed



1058



ABSTRACT

Aim: To determine the frequency of tuberculosis in the patients of diabetes.

Study design: Cross-Sectional

Place and duration of study: Department of Pulmonology, Avicenna Medical College, Lahore from 1st March 2020 to 31st August 2020.

Methodology: Two hundred patients of both genders were presented in this study. Patients detailed demographics age, sex and body mass index were recorded after taking proper consent. Patients admitted in outpatient department with diabetic duration greater than 5years. The different variants of pulmonary and extra pulmonary tuberculosis were measured.

Results: There were 120(60%) males and 80(40%) were females with mean age was 51.8±18.22 years. The mean duration of diabetes was 11.5±9.19 years. 60% patients were addicted to gutka and smoking. Active tuberculosis was only found in 30(15%) cases. Pulmonary tuberculosis were 17(56.7%) and the rest 13(43.3%) were extra pulmonary tuberculosis. Eighteen (60%) patients had smear positive and 12(40%) had smear -ve TB.

Conclusion: The frequency of tuberculosis in the diabetic patients was high as compared to other population. It can be cure by early diagnosed of disease otherwise multidrug-resistant tuberculosis can become serious health problem among public.

Key words: Prevalence, Tuberculosis, Diabetic patient, Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis



Copyright © Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences 2021. All rights reserved!