Saima Riaz, Anfal Zahra, Zeest Hashmi, Sajid Rashid, Rehan Ramzan Khan, Amber Shabbir
Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences



A Study on Frequency of Development of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Among Undergraduate Doctor of Physical Therapy Students

Saima Riaz, Anfal Zahra, Zeest Hashmi, Sajid Rashid, Rehan Ramzan Khan, Amber Shabbir



1868



ABSTRACT


Objective: To find out the frequency of development of polycystic ovarian syndrome among undergraduate Doctor of Physical Therapy students.

Methodos: It was a cross-sectional study. Data was collected from Riphah International University, Lahore. The study was conducted on 350 undergraduate doctor of physical therapy students. Non-probability convenience sampling technique was used. Sample collection was done based on pre defined inclusion and exclusion criteria. Polycystic ovarian syndrome self-assessment form based on WHO guidelines was used. Collected data was entered and analyzed on SPSS version 21.

Results: The target population of research comprises of 350 participants. The mean age of students was 21.28 +2.35. Out of which 35.71% were hostilities and 64.29% were day scholars. Among hostellites 49.6% (n=62) were at risk of unpredictable PCOS, 39.2% (n=49) were at chance of getting PCOS and 11.2% (n=14) were at high risk to get PCOS. In day scholars 52.9% (n=119) were at risk of unpredictable PCOS, 39.6% (n=89) were at chance of getting PCOS and 7.6% (n=17) were at high risk of PCOS

Conclusion: The current study concludes that polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is more prevalent among female adolescents which may cause obstacles in their lifestyle ultimately leading to infertility. This negative effect is due to the unhealthy stressful lifestyle of teenager female adolescents. The unpredictable polycystic ovarian syndrome is more frequent in day scholars than hostilities among Doctor of Physical Therapy Students.

Keywords: Polycystic ovary syndrome, Hyperinsulinism, Hirsutism



Copyright © Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences 2022. All rights reserved!