Sabahat Fatima, A. G.ul Shaikh, Tahmina Mahar, Hameed-Ur-Rehman Bozdar, Sameena Memon, Mahjabeen Khokhar
Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences




Peer Reviewed

Previous Published Issues


A Study of Molar Pregnancy at Low Resource Settings of Tertiary Care Hospital Sindh

Sabahat Fatima, A. G.ul Shaikh, Tahmina Mahar, Hameed-Ur-Rehman Bozdar, Sameena Memon, Mahjabeen Khokhar



1547



ABSTRACT

Aim: To determine the epidemiological factors/characteristics and clinical presentation of molar pregnancy

Study design: Qualitative observational / retrospective study

Place and duration: Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Unit-II, Ghulam Muhammad Mahar Medical College Sukkur from 1st January 2016 to 31st December 2020.

Methodology: Forty five diagnosed cases with molar pregnancy and aged between 18-40 years were enrolled. Patient’s details demographics age, body mass index, parity and socio economic status were recorded. The total birth records and gynecological admission for the study period were also collected from the gynaecology and labour room record books case and operational registration data were obtained, descriptive statistics examined .

Results: Mean age of the patients was 31.15±7.41 years with mean body mass index 26.16±7.22 kg/m2. Mean gestational age of the patients were 25.62±9.19 weeks. Twenty seven (60%) patients were multiparous and 18 (40%) were primiparous. 30 (66.7%) were illiterate and 15(33.3%) cases were literate. There were 14(31.11%) patients belonged lower class, 18 (40%) patients belonged middle and 13(28.9%) had high socioeconomic status. Twenty nine (64.4%) were from rural area and 16 (35.6%) were from urban area. Five (11.1%) patients had previous history of gestational trophoblastic disease. Abnormal vaginal bleeding was the most common symptom found in 34(75.5%) cases followed by lower abdominal pain found in 30 (66.7%) patients, hyperemesis found in 14(31.1%) and dyspnea in 9 (20%). Thirty six (80%) patients received suction evacuation and 9 (20%) cases referred. Forty one (91.1%) patients were recovered but the rest 4 (8.9%) were lost during follow up.

Conclusion: Low/middle socio-economic status, illiteracy and cases from rural areas had multiparous parity was highly effected by molar pregnancy disease and it can be controlled by early diagnose to take regular follow-up by using suction evacuation.

Key words: Gestational trophoblastic disease (GTD), Molar pregnancy, Primiparous, Multiparous



Copyright © Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences 2021. All rights reserved!