Munazzah Bashir, Sumreen Anjum,Sadia Shafiq, Aasma Hanif, Sujaria Yaseen, Wajiha Mehwish
Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences




Peer Reviewed

Previous Published Issues


Compare the Wound Infection Rate between Skin Staples and Sutures for Skin Closure after C-Section

Munazzah Bashir, Sumreen Anjum,Sadia Shafiq, Aasma Hanif, Sujaria Yaseen, Wajiha Mehwish



363




ABSTRACT

Aim: To compare the wound infection rate between skin staples and sutures for skin closure after C-section. Study Design: Randomized Control trial Place & duration of study: Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, M. Islam Medical College Gujranwala from 1st January 2018 to 31st December 2019. Methodology: Four hundred patients were enrolled and detailed demographics were recorded.The patients were 20 to 45 years of age.They were equally divided into two groups; Group I received skin staples while group II received sutures. After caesarean section, wound infection was recorded on 5th post-operative day. Results: Mean age of the enrolled patients in group I was 28.95±6.76 years with mean BMI 23.75±3.84 kg/m2 and mean age in group II was 28.88±6.87 years with mean BMI 23.65±4.12kg/m2.Gestational age was found between both groups 40.14±0.22 and 40.21±0.13. Ingroup I, 37(18.5%) females underwent for elective C-section and 163(81.5%) patients were in emergency C-section. While in group II, 41(20.5%) patients underwent elective C-section and the rest were 159(79.5%) underwent emergency. 30(15%) cases showed wound infection in group I while in group II frequency of wound infection was 14(7%).

Conclusion: Frequency of wound infection in staples groups was greater than that of sutures for skin closure after C-section.

Keywords: Wound infection, Sutures, Skin staples, Skin closure, Complication, C-section



Copyright © Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences 2021. All rights reserved!